About Information Technology Services
Information Technology Services (ITS) offers a broad range of services designed to meet the computing, communications, and networking needs of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) faculty, staff and students. ITS provides:
- products and services for the coordination of voice, video and data technologies;
- support for the integration of multimedia into the curriculum; and
- a single information technology support group for UNL — coordinating and supporting the needs of Teaching, Research, Outreach, and Administration.
ITS was formed in 1995 and was first headed by Kent Hendrickson, Associate Vice-Chancellor until February, 2008.
Mark Askren, CIO
Within the UNL structure, Information Technology Services reports to the Office of the Chancellor.
Information Technology Services Leadership & Teams
ITS is led by Mark Askren, Chief Information Officer
Academic Technologies and Application Solutions,Pamela Holley-Wilcox, Director
Assists individuals using information technology as a tool for teaching, learning, research and outreach by providing user support, training and consulting services, as well as sales and management of desktop computing resources.
Provides support for student financial aid records, class registrations, student records, and other UNL applications by managing campus-wide data integrity efforts, providing project management services, and coordinating the information technology architecture. Also oversees development within Internet & Interactive Media, jointly operated by IS and University Communications.
Business & Administration, Karen Gatherer, Director
Provides accounting, finance, strategic communications and human resource functions for the organization.
Client Services, Neil Wineman, Director
Provides customer-facing technology services and client support through the Computer Help Center and Computer Repair.
Enterprise Desktop Services, David DeFruiter, Director
Enterprise Desktop Services offers automated computer support using the latest technology that automatically updates your computer software, helps to ensure security, and provisions software and tools when you need them.
Infrastructure and Operations, Michael Ruhrdanz, Director
Provides UNL and its state-wide interests with an advanced, reliable, high-performance network; provides Internet services; datacenter and operations center functions, security services and serves the telecommunications needs of the university.
Security, Rick Haugerud, Director
Responsible for applying security tools and best practices for data in motion and at rest for the University.
Systems Administration, Dave Spanel, Coordinator
Responsible for operating systems and server support, as well as email gateways. Also provides support for distributed physical data management for backup/restore, and archives.
The following is a partial list of services maintained and supported by ITS. For a more complete list of services for network and telephone connections; research computing; user support and training; hardware and software purchases; etc. please see the faculty or Students resources pages.
- MyRed: databases providing students online access to information regarding admissions, registration, records, financial aid, and their accounts.
- MyUNL (Blackboard): serves as the Academic Portal for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. This service is funded by the UNL Student Technology Fee. (NOTE: link opens in new window)
- Office 365; provides UNL's primary e-mail service and a collaborative groupware experience.
- Internet2: UNL is a founding member of the University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development (UCAID) which is responsible for Internet2. UNL is also a part of the Internet2's K20 Initiative which allows all educational institutions in Nebraska to utilize the benefits of Internet2.
Administration Contact Information
Telephone: (402) 472-2311
FAX: (402) 472-5280
Mail: 413 Love Library, Lincoln, NE 68583-0496