Each and every one of us needs to do our part to make sure that our online lives are kept safe and secure. That's what National Cyber Security Awareness Month—observed in October —is all about!
Our Shared Responsibility
- We lead Internet-connected, digital lives.
- No individual, business, or government entity is solely responsible for securing the Internet.
- Everyone has a role in securing their part of cyberspace, including the devices and networks they use.
UNL NCSAM Events in October
Cyber Security Thursdays
October 2,16,30 City Campus Union
October 9,23 East Campus Union
Every Thursday in October, members of the UNL and Central Administration information security teams will be in the union giving away treats, and offering tips on cyber security.
Stop by the booth to pick up a treat, learn about a special offering from LastPass, and learn enter the drawing for prizes including UNI credits, Help Center computer check ups, and UNL T-shirts.
ITS Security Forum
Tuesday, October 7, 10:00 am
The ITS Security Forum is open to all UNL faculty and staff. Every other month, the ITS Information Security team offers a forum to present new projects and answer questions about information security on campus. October’s forum will feature:
- SHA1 SSL Certificates,
- securing remote access,
- F5 Web Application Security service, and security best practices.
Unable to attend in person? Join the meeting via Adobe Connect at https://connect.unl.edu/itsforum.
Security Speed Rounds
Monday, October 13 ,9:30 am East Campus Union, Columbine
Monday, October 27 at 9:30 am, City Union, Regency A
Four different stations. Start at any station and every 10 minutes, a signal will be made to move to the next table. In 45 minutes – attendees will learn information about
1) Phishing phor Passwords (strong password management and what to watch out for in a phish email);
2) Know Your Data (data classification);
3) Wireless Security (what to watch out for when connecting to “free” wireless);
4) Stranger Danger (dangers of social media/QR code scanning).
Attending will also make you eligible for the Cyber Security Awareness month drawing of prizes.