Considerations for new initiatives
- Is there staffing, structure, and funding available for this project?
- Are there people who have already done something similar, or parts of the same initiative?
- Are there people thinking about doing something similar?
- Are there existing systems, infrastructure, or processes that could be taken advantage of?
- Can we re-use at least 20% of code in a project from existing projects?
- Are there opportunities for fully managed virtual/cloud (internal or external) components that the initiative should be designed for?
- Are there pieces of the initiative, especially innovation, that could be shared with others?
- Other institutions have generally struggled with the same issues, we should engage with our community of peers as a standard practice.
- repositories should be designed with sharing (and security) in mind
- Can the initiative be designed to use data that already exists (and is managed)?
- Which authoritative data sources are needed
- Can it be designed so that data can be used by others?
- Can/should someone help manage the entire lifecycle of data from creation to disposal?
Strategy & Standards
- What will add value?
- Are there ways to better align with the stated direction of UNL?
- Are there existing standards that could give the initiative:
- more functionality?
- easier support?
- more reusability?
- more scalability?
- less cost?