How to connect your computers and mobile devices to to the UNL network.
Step 1 - Your Identity
Manage your MyUNL I.D.
To register for wireless in the residence halls, and access most online services, you’ll need to know your My.UNL ID and password.
* Don’t know your MyUNL ID? Go to a lab or other computer that’s already connected and visit id.unl.edu.
- Never share your password
- Use a password of at least eight
characters and try using a pass phrase
- Change your password often
- Don’t use the same password on multiple site
- Treat your password like your credit card number
Step 2 - WiFi & Network Access
Register your devices
- Select UNL-WIRELESS-REGISTRATION as your network. Open a web browser. The welcome screen will ask to click to register your device. Select the UNL login button and login with your MyUNL credentials.
- Once logged in, click on “Register a card”.
- Enter the hardware MAC address for your device. If you don’t know your MAC or hardware address, click the “LOOK UP MY MAC” button, which will auto-fill the hardware address. Then click ‘ADD CARD’.
- Shortly after your card is registered, you should be able to connect wirelessly to UNL-AIR for internet access anywhere on campus.
- Once you connect to UNL-AIR, proceed to Step 3.
For Connect IT questions and assistance, contact the ResNet office in Sandoz Hall (402) 472-3535
Step 3 - Computers on SafeConnect
Protecting your computer on Residence Hall Network
ResNet is using the SafeConnect Registration System. General information about Safe
Connect is available at: http://its.unl.edu/safeconnect/.
Currently, only Windows and Macintosh computers need to be registered through SafeConnect.
- Connect to UNL-AIR wireless network.
- Open a web browser (preferably Chrome, Firefox or Safari). You should be directed to the SafeConnect login page.
- Log in using your My.UNL (Blackboard) ID and password.
- Once you’ve logged in, you will see a
notice that says: “Yes, I will install the Policy Key and accept the terms and conditions for Internet Use”. If you’re not familiar with the UNL Computer User Agreement, click on the link and read it before you agree. You must agree to the terms listed in order to register for Internet Access.
- Click on the link that starts “Yes, I will …” and the SafeConnect system will then start a download of the policy key installer. (ServiceInstaller.exe)
- Save the policy key installer to your desktop, then double click on it to start the installation. You may have to give permission for the install to start.
- Once it’s done, you’ll see a window that says installation was successful. You should now have full connectivity.
Step 4 - Improving Connections
Tips for improved performance in Residence Halls
Because students use multiple devices, plug in all ethernet-enabled devices like laptops and gaming consoles. This leaves more bandwidth available for mobile devices. To activate ethernet jacks in your room, login into MyRed and fill out a maintenance request under “FixIt” Housing portal.
Use ethernet on all devices that can be plugged in
Router transmissions interfere with WiFi access points on the network and disrupt service for you and your neighbors.
Print via USB connection
Turn off wireless print functionality and print via a USB connection to eliminate WiFi interference.
Information Technology Services (ITS) implemented a new Wi-Fi access network named NU-Connect on the Kearney and Lincoln campuses Saturday.
NU-Connect provides an automated configuration for attaching laptops and most mobile devices to the secure and encrypted eduroam network.
The addition of NU-Connect is... Read more