Zoom is a cloud-based, web collaboration service that connects multiple conference rooms and remote users for online classes, meetings and group projects. It is a free service available to all Faculty, Staff and Students
- Zoom features high-quality video, audio and group chat from both mobile and desktop apps
- A basic Zoom meeting room now acommodates up to 300 attendees
- Larger rooms and webinar rooms with special features are available upon request
Zoom Data Retention Policy
Recordings from Spring 2021 in the Zoom cloud will be deleted on September 30, 2021.
UNL-Academic Technologies allows Zoom Cloud storage for one semester following the semester in which they were recorded.
They will be deleted automatically at the end of that period. Users will have then have 30 days to restore those recordings and download them for storage elsewhere including OneDrive, and, if course related, VidGrid.
Instructions for changing storage location:
If you have Zoom meeting recordings you would like to save, please download and save them. You can find information about downloading Zoom recordings here: https://go.unl.edu/b76d
After downloading your videos, you can upload and make them available through Vidgrid: https://its.unl.edu/services/unl-academic-video/
Or, you can also store Zoom recordings directly to Microsoft OneDrive; this tutorial will show you how: https://go.unl.edu/ctfm
If you need assistance with downloading and storing recordings, please request help from the Academic Technologies team: https://its.unl.edu/services/canvas/canvas-support-request/
September 30, 2021
January 15, 2022
Zoom Live Transcripts (Live Captions)
A new Zoom tool: Live Automatic Transcriptions.
NOTE: This feature is NOT available on HIPAA-compliant Zoom accounts for security purposes. You will need to use a Live Human Captioner or VidGrid Professional Captioning for your captions in live Zoom sessions. This service does not meet the accuracy requirements to be HIPAA compliant.
Following these steps will activate the feature for all future meetings or webinars created in account.
- Log into UNL’s Zoom website—https://unl.zoom.us/--with your SSO credentials
- Click Settings from the left side menu
- Click In Meeting (Advanced) or scroll down to that section of the settings.
- Turn on Closed captioning (the slider will move to the right and become blue)
- Under that option check the box that says Enable live transcription service to show transcript on the side panel in-meeting. If you do not see this option then your account does not yet have this feature activated. It will be rolling out to all users in the coming weeks.
- Click Save to confirm that setting
Starting the Live Automatic Transcriptions During a Meeting or Webinar
Note: Only the host can turn auto transcriptions on or off.
- Click the Live Transcript button from the Zoom control bar
- At the bottom of this window click Enable Auto-Transcription
- The meeting host will immediately see the transcripts at the bottom of the Zoom meeting video.
- A new set of options will be available for host and attendees by clicking the small arrow on the Live Transcript button to select how they wish to view the transcriptions/subtitles.
- These new settings are:
- Show Subtitle
- The transcript will appear as video subtitles at the bottom of the video frame.
- View Full Transcript
The transcript will appear in a side-panel Transcript window, and the full transcript to that point may be saved by clicking Save Transcript. Host and attendees can also search the transcript by entering text into the Search transcript field at the top of the window.
- Subtitle Settings
- Participants can change the appearance of the subtitles
Get an account and Schedule a Zoom meeting
- Visit https://unl.zoom.us/
- Click "Host a meeting" and choose one of the options. Either is fine for these purposes.
- Log in with your My.UNL username and password.
- Click the prompts that come up to download the installer ("zoomusinstaller.pkg" or "zoomusinstaller.exe" or similar).
- Double-click the downloaded installer to open it and follow the prompts until the installation is finished.
- The Zoom Cloud Meetings program will open. Click the "SSO / Login with SSO" button.
- Type "unl" (lowercase, no punctuation) into the "Enter your company domain" box.
- Enter your My.UNL username and password again.
- Now your Zoom program is set up for hosting meetings. Click the "Schedule" button to set up a meeting that will take place in the future.
- In the "Schedule a new meeting" window that pops up, enter the meeting date, time, duration, etc.
- You may view the invitation by clicking "Meetings" at the bottom of the main Zoom window, finding the meeting in the list (if you have multiple) and clicking "copy." Then paste the text into an email or a Word document.
- The "Meeting ID" you see in the list of is part of the link. You can type it in manually if you want at the end of this url: https://unl.zoom/us/meeting/[your meeting ID here]
We also have the following videos and documents to help students and teachers get up and running with Zoom:
Request a Large Room or Webinar
If you anticipate more than 300 attendees, you may request for a limited time, a Large Room with room for either 500 or 1000.
If you require a Webinar, which allows different options, please fill out the request form. Once approved you will have access to the Webinar space for a limited time to schedule and design your event and then to host it.