What is Akindi?
Akindi is the new UNL bubble-sheet assessment platform, and a replacement to campus Scantron processing services, which ended in May 2022.
- Akindi allows for faculty to create, facilitate, and scan their own bubble-sheet assessments without the need for proprietary sheets or special machines.
- Akindi assessments are printed on normal 8.5" by 11" sheets of paper and scanned with common multi-function (all-in-one) printer/scanners with a scan to e-mail function.
- Akindi is integrated through Canvas so assessment scores can be automatically synced into your Canvas gradebook.
How do I access Akindi?
Akindi is accessed from within a Canvas course. If this is your first time using Akindi in a particular course go to “Settings” on the bottom of the Canvas course navigation pane, select the “Navigation” tab at the top, locate the “Launch Akindi” option towards the bottom of the page, click the three dots to the right of “Launch Akindi”, select the “+ Enable” option, and then select the red “Save” button at the bottom of the page.
If this is your first time using Akindi, then, you will need to activate your account. Go to your Canvas course and open the “Launch Akindi” tab. An Akindi page should should appear in your Canvas window with a “Launch Akindi” button. Click on that to activate and confirm your account and open Akindi in a new tab. This step looks like the screenshot below:
After activating your account, stay on the Akindi page to set your password for future log-ins. Go to “Settings” and under “Account Settings”, you can create a new password at the bottom. Click “Save.” This looks like the GIF below:
From here, you can now access and log into Akindi at https://un-lincoln.akindi.com/home/. Please note that the “Launch Akindi” option in the course navigation will not be visible for students in the Canvas course. If you access Akindi through Canvas, your course and course roster will be automatically synched!
Who can access Akindi?
Akindi assessments can only be created and managed by someone who has a teacher role in a Canvas course. The teacher creates the assessment in Akindi and prints the bubble sheets for their class. After the students have filled out their bubble sheets in class the instructor will collect them to be scanned.
Teachers can invite TAs and other instructors to collaborate with varying levels of access on Akindi. To collaborate with another instructor, you can go to the course in Akindi and click on “Collaborate.” The course must have Akindi enabled and you must have the email address of the person you wish to send an invite to collaborate. There is an autofill feature on the form itself but it may not be the specific address your invitee uses so having it beforehand may help.
Visit Collaborating with Instructors and TAs | Akindi Help Center for more information.
How do I create an Assessment in Akindi?
The video and article below detail how to create an assessment in Akindi.
More helpful articles on Assessments and Answer Keys
How do I scan my Akindi Assessment to get it graded?
- Akindi assessments are scanned with your department or college’s multi-function (all-in-one) printer/scanner using the "scan to email" function.
- The first time you access Akindi through a Canvas course your Akindi account is automatically provisioned/created.
- After your Akindi account is created it will get an email address created for it for example: netID+[some number]@uploads.akindi.com.
- This email address will be the same for all your courses regardless of the semester.
- Some departments/colleges have chosen to save this email in their scanner’s contact list as the faculty member’s name followed by an “_Akindi” to make it easier for them to scan to their Akindi email.
- Below is a screenshot of what where you will find your auto-generated email ID:
- After your assessments are scanned to your Akindi email address they will be automatically graded and available for your review within the Canvas course.
What do I do after I scan my Akindi Assessments?
- After your Akindi assessments are scanned and uploaded you will be able to view the results by accessing Akindi through your Canvas course.
- This is now the time where you can review any scanned lines Akindi did not know how to grade, for example if a student erased B but it was left smeared and then filled in D.
- Akindi makes this process easy for you by showing all these items anonymized in a central location--watch the video below for more details.
- Finally, after you have resolved all necessary items, it is time to click the blue “Send Grades to Canvas” button in the top left corner.
- This button will add the Akindi assessment as an assignment and populate each of the students’ scores in the Canvas gradebook
You can also view support articles Akindi support has created for instructors on their Help Center. Helpful articles on this topic are:
What are the benefits to using Akindi?
Akindi has many benefits over traditional Scantron sheets.
- It is cloud based so you can always access the raw images of each student’s scanned assessment. This means you no longer have to hold on to the sheets if you want to review them with a student.
- Akindi also allows for up to six different versions of the same assessment.
- Akindi makes it easy to regrade assessments without having to rescan them.
- You can get analytics on your assessments--such as which questions were the easiest and the most difficult for your class.
To learn more about additional Akindi features visit: https://help.akindi.com/en/
Need Additional Help?
Contact Scanning Services at 402-472-2313 or email@example.com.